Ever since bebe number 2 arrived , I hardly eat heavy Indian meals. I’m gravitating towards lighter meals (maybe cuz I’m eating all day anyway lol)
This chicken and mushroom pie was playing on my mind for days. When I was 16 I would work for my brother in the mall , every morning King Pie would bake their batch for the day and the smell just got me everytime , I could taste the deliciousness albeit not being able to eat it.
With that same “liss” in mind I made these saucy pies but with crispy phyllo instead of puff pastry. Muchos tasty!
• 1kg chicken fillet cubes
• Phyllo pastry
• Olive oil
• 1 tsp Cumin seeds
• 1tsp garlic
• 1 whole green chilli
• Black and white pepper (season well)
• 1/2 packet (knorr) black pepper sauce
• 1/2 cup sour cream
• 2 tbsp mayonnaise
• 1 punnet sliced mushrooms
• Corn flour to thicken
1. Add the olive oil to the pot along with the cumin , garlic and chilli .
2. Add the chicken then add salt, black and white pepper. Mix well
3. Add your mushrooms and let them cook until they soften slightly.
4. Mix in the sour cream and mayo
5. Mix half a packet of pepper sauce with water *as per packaging instructions* then pour into the pot.
6. If the chicken and mushroom mixture is too watery, make a corn flour slurry and add to thicken.
7. Cut 1 large sheet of phyllo pastry into 4 equal squares. Brush each square with butter on both sides and layer one ontop of the other in a pie dish, leave the edges overlapping (this is for the individual pies) for a big pie you may use the full sheet.
8. Spoon the mixture into the middle then fold over the layers of phyllo to form a cover over. Be messy with the phyllo, it gives your pie character
9. Bake on 180°C in the oven on the middle rack of the oven until the entire pie is golden brown.
10. Serve with a zesty salad