This Tuna recipe will help you make use of all that tuna you have stocked up in your storage or pantry. Its great for breakfast, brunch or as a filling for sandwiches. This is a Sunday brunch staple that I grew up eating at my Aunts house.
Her daughter in law Faaiza was always busy in the kitchen and had a reputation for being one of the best cooks in the family. My favorite part about this dish is adding extra whole chillies and as they cook in the tuna they become soft and filled with the spices. When you’re eating the tuna and you get a green chilli , squeeze it open and becomes an extra dash of flavour.
My favorite way to eat it is with fresh white bread but you can eat it with puri , roti or keep it healthy and add it to your salad.
- 2 tins of tuna (i prefer the one in sunflower oil)
- olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 large green chilli
- 1 large cubed tomato (or 2 medium ones)
- 1 1/2 tsp mild red chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp freshly cracked black pepper
- 2/3 tbsp fresh coriander (chopped)
- salt A/R
- heat up the olive oil in a pot then add the cumin seeds, chilli and onion. sauté until the onions are soft
- Add the tomato along with the spices and allow to cook until a thick chutney has formed.
- drain your tuna then add it to the pot mix well with the chutney, cook on a medium heat for 10-15 mins
- Season well with black pepper and add salt as required.
- finally mix in the dhania (coriander) and serve