i am revisiting recipes from my blog to create content for my YouTube Page. I created this baked beans shakshouka ages ago on a family vacation. Self-Catering Vacays are always fun but one person (thats me) always gets kitchen duty. I love serving one pot meals when there are lots of people. It takes just a few minutes to get done and if you’re lucky enough, you can recruit help for the prep work.
if you would like to watch this recipe tutorial on Youtube, just click this link.
- 1 tbsp. ghee/ olive oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 green chilli
- a few curry leaves
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 red capsicum, diced
- 2 large tomatoes’, cubed
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- mustard seeds (optional)
- 1 tin baked beans in tomato sauce
- 5 (or 6) eggs
- feta cheese for garnish
- salt and pepper for seasoning
- coriander leaf for garnish
- in a wide, flat pot. Warm up the ghee/olive oil on a medium heat
- add the cumin seeds, chilli and curry leaves and allow them to braise for a minute (if you opt for the mustard seeds add them here)
- then add the onions and capsicum, place the lid over and allow them to soften.
- Once the onions are translucent and the peppers begin to soften, add the cubed tomatoes along with the spices.
- Cook until the tomatoes have broken down.
- Add the baked beans and mix all together, cook for about 10 minutes. Leave enough sauce in the pan for the eggs to cook in.
- Crack the eggs into little wells in the baked beans, splash a tiny bit of water over the eggs then cover and allow the eggs to cook to your liking. i would do 1- 2 minutes for a sift runny yolk.
- Garnish with fresh chopped coriander and feta cheese. season well and serve