A while back I participated in a collaboration with Sally Williams nougat, in which I created this gorgeous nougat pavlova using the treats they sent me. The recipe was posted on my Instagram but I’ve been getting a lot of messages for a step by step how to, so I decided this is the best place to share it.
Sally Williams nougat is one of South Africa’s most loved confectionary brands. It’s a success story of a business that started at home and grew into something bigger and better over time.
I wanted to incorporate the nougat into my pavlova to give it a little something extra. The basic pavlova recipe can be found here, if you’re looking to experiment. It will also give you a little background info on why I use the ingredients below.
- 100 g egg whites (approx. 4 large eggs)
- 75g castor sugar
- 75g regular sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1 g cream of tartar or 1 ml lemon juice
- 4/5 pieces of Sally Williams Macadamia nougat chopped up into quarters
- chocolate covered nougat for garnish
- strawberries for garnish
- 1 cup fresh cream, whipped
- extra chocolate for drizzling.
- In bowl add the cream of tartar (or lemon juice) and salt to the egg whites and whisk to a soft peak. (soft peak means it will just turn white)
- Then slowly begin to drizzle the regular sugar into the egg whites First while whisking. Then the castor sugar.
- Whisk the mixture to a stiff peak. (it will be able to hold itself on the whisk or it wont fall out if the bowl is held upside down)
- Hint: to test whether your meringue is ready, rub a little of the mixture between your fingers, if it’s still grainy to the touch then continue whisking. It should be ready when its smooth and glossy.
- Add the chopped pieces of nougat to the meringue and GENTLY fold them in.
- Prepare your baking tray by layering a piece of baking paper on it, then give it a good coat of spray and cook.
- Shape into 2 pavlova domes or 1 big one if you prefer.
- Bake at 110 ° C for 45 minutes to 1 .5 hours for bigger meringues or until dry. (the 2 mini domes took just about an hour)
- Once baked, let them cool completely then top with whipped cream and chopped pieces of chocolate covered nougat.
- Add the sliced strawberries for bursts of freshness and finish with a drizzle of melted chocolate.