My instant pot has been a life saver. Sometimes I just stare at it with the hope of it inspiring a great new recipe idea and for the most part it actually works! Jokes aside things have been wild these last few weeks and I think I speak for most when I say 2020 has been an emotionally draining ride BUT the comfort food that I get from my Instant pot makes it a little easier to deal with.
If you’re stuck at home, whether its self isolation or quarantine (google “Corona Virus –Self Isolation 2020 for reference) you still need to eat and this potato curry recipe is so warm and comforting.
it takes a few minutes in the instant pot but it can be made on a stove top as well. it pairs well with bread, naan or rice.
- 4-5 medium potatoes
- olive oil
- 1 diced onion
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp garlic
- 2 green chilies
- 1 ½ tsp mild red chili powder
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 large blended tomatoes
- 1/3 cup water
- set the instant pot to the “sauté” function then add the olive oil and cumin seeds and braise for a minute
- add the onions and chili to the pot and braise until soft. (having the instant pot glass lid for this helps)
- add the potatoes to the pot along with the garlic and the other spices.
- Add the tomato and the water, mix well and cover the pot with the lid.
- Seal the pot and the vent and set the instant pot to “high pressure” for 5 minutes cooking time.
- Once the time has elapsed, do a “quick pressure” release and when your pressure knob drops, it is safe to open your instant pot.
- Garnish with freshly chopped coriander and serve.
If you’re not using an instant pot, complete step 3 and then add the water to the pot and cook the potatoes until they are half way done. then add the tomatoes and cook until fully done in the center and the tomatoes form a thick curry.