I have never actually been one that would lean towards eating cous cous. However, I recently decided to give it a go and I (and the guests) were pleasantly surprised at the outcome. My guests have become the test subjects of my spontaneous and adventurous recipes, that’s the price you pay when visiting me I’m afraid.
Couscous is not actually healthy; however, it is exciting to eat. It’s almost flavorless and therefore you can turn It into anything you like. It sucks up flavor like a sponge in water and is a lighter option for summer lunches or alfresco dining. If you’re very healthy etc., swap it for quinoa or whole grain couscous and mission accomplished. This is how I made mine.
- ½ cup cous cous
- 4 tbsp. good quality crumbly feta cheese
- ½ capsicum
- ½ red onion
- 1 grilled corn
- pomegranate seeds
- ½ avocado
- 2 tbsp. chopped coriander
- 1tbsp chopped mint
- 1 lemon
- ½ avocado
- 4 tbsp. yogurt
- 1 tbsp. chopped mint
- lemon juice
- Place the couscous in a non-stick pot and lightly toast it for a bit
- Then add enough water to just cover the cous cous, cover with a lid and leave the pot on a low heat to steam until the cous cous has puffed up. Mix with a fork to avoid mashing the couscous and keeping it grainy rather than sticky.
- When the couscous is cooked transfer it to a large mixing bowl, and immediately squeeze over the juice of half a fresh lemon
- On a flame or in a grill pan, char the outside of a capsicum until black, then pop it into a bag and allow it to cool. After a while remove the capsicum, wipe off the burnt bits and chop into bite size pieces. Add this to the couscous
- Slice the red onion into thin slices and add to the bowl
- Chop up the herbs and add them to the bowl
- Grill the corn in a pan, you can use tin-corn or a fresh kernel add this to your couscous
- Add in the pomegranate rubies as well as half of the feta. Season well with salt and pepper.
- Finish with another generous squeeze of fresh lemon juice and sliced avocado on the top and the remaining feta cheese.
For the dressing
- Blitz all the ingredients in a blender until smooth and creamy season well with salt and pepper.
Serve the dressing on the side or on top.