They say that the human brain is divided into 2 hemispheres, which gives rise to the left-brain right-brain theory. This theory explains how people with left side dominance are often much more logical and mathematical, and those with right-side dominance tend to be more artistic and creative. Why am I telling you this? Probably because I’m supposed to be writing an essay on Krantz anatomy and photosynthesis and instead I’m photographing and blogging donuts!
I’ve never “experienced” the potential of my right side brain until I started the blog. One of my biggest challenges would be thinking out of the box in terms of recipes and photography. That’s why when I found Zakkiya on Instagram I was amazed by her natural creativity. At a mere 20 years of age she has already mastered the art of cooking and baking, and I must say everything on her page looks amazing! I love the variety of her dishes and her recipes are so easy and authentic!
Here’s one of the recipes that I’ve tried of hers I hope you like it as much as I do!
- ¼ lb butter
- 10g yeast
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¾ warm cup milk
- 3 heaped cups flour
- Pinch of salt
- Sift together the dry ingredients, and the sugar and yeast. Make sure that you do not place the sugar directly onto the yeast.
- Rub the butter into the flour mix , alternatively you can use your dough hook as I have
- Add in the milk and the egg to form a soft dough.
- Cover the dough with a layer of cling film, wrap with a kitchen towel and keep in warm dark conditions
- After about 30 mins, your dough should have doubled in size
- Roll out the dough to about 2-3 cm thick and cut out your doughnuts.
- Place on a baking tray and let them rise for another 30 mins, covered the same way as you did before.
- Deep fry in oil, be careful not to brown the outside before the insides are cooked through.
- Remove from the oil when golden brown and drain on a paper towel.
- Top with cinnamon and sugar while hot, or coat in your favourite icing once cooled
Rest assured that even I have bad days, which lead to me burning the first batch of doughnuts, hence I strongly suggest you monitor the temperature of your oil , especially if you’re using gas.
However, I devoured the second batch in a day, it was that good.
You can find Zakkiya on Instagram and keep an eye out for her blog that will be launched soon.
Stay inspired and stay creative