Firstly I would like to thank you all for the constant support and feedback that I have been receiving lately. I have been so tied up with exams that I have neglected the blog slightly but it will all be over soon and I have great plans for the future of RSRcreations.
That being said, I have had no time to create new recipes and I’ve been searching for inspiration in every way possible. I’ve always been a huge food network follower, my favourite shows are Chopped, Barefoot Contessa, Sibas Table, Healthy Appetite with Ellie Krieger and Rachel Allen. I recently watched an episode of diners, drive in’s and dives and I came across a feature on a little diner in New Jersey called, Marie’s Italian. They have this amazing meat and rice ball on their menu which is served with a red sauce. It looked so amazing I had to give it a try.
These rice balls are called Arancini, which are of Italian decent. It is typically risotto rice balls with a filling in the centre, coated in bread crumbs and deep fried. Yes. Deep fried. At Maries they do it a little differently and it looked absolutely amazing! The outcome, soft cheesy rice balls with bits of meatballs running through them , served on a tangy tomato sauce. It’s almost like spaghetti and meatballs all together in 1 little package.
So here’s my attempt at the meat and rice ball.
For the meat balls
- ½ kg beef mince
- ½ onion grated
- ¾ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 3 tsp oregano
- 1 egg
- ½ cup bread crumbs
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- ½ tsp red chilli flakes
1 portion tomato pasta sauce make and set aside.
To make rice ball
- 1 cup risotto rice
- Meat balls broken up
- 2 tablespoon tomato pasta sauce
- 1 ½ cup grated mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup bread crumbs, extra for coating
- In a large bowl combine all the ingredients for the meat balls, mix together until uniform in consistency.
- Shape into balls and place on a baking tray, cover and set aside
- Boil 1 cup of risotto rice in 3 cups water until soft. Drain and set aside
- Prepare one portion of the pasta sauce, recipe here, in a large pot. Do not cook fully just combine all the ingredients.
- Place your meat balls into the sauce , on a medium heat let the sauce and meatballs cook together.
- Once the meat balls are done remove them from the sauce and set aside.
- When all the components are ready, break up the meat balls into a large bowl, to that add the cooked risotto rice, mozzarella cheese, 2 tablespoons of the pasta sauce and ½ cup breadcrumbs.
- Combine all the ingredients well and form ball shapes.
- Coat in a layer of bread crumbs, cover and refrigerate until you’re ready to serve.
- Before serving, give the rice balls another coating of breadcrumbs and then deep fry on a medium heat.
- The outside must be golden brown and crispy, and the inside must be gooey.
- Drain the rice balls in a colander lined with kitchen paper.
- Serve the pasta sauce with the rice balls, top with grated mozzarella and shredded basil leaves.
I absolutely love how it turned out! The combination of all the elements work extremely well together and its satisfyingly filling.
Give this recipe a try and be sure to let me know what you think about it!
Thank you Marie’s Italian for your inspiration.