If you’re like me and your weekday breakfasts consists of either strawberry pops or toast and tea, weekends become the most exciting thing ever! I love weekend breakfasts, everyone usually wakes up late enough for me to prepare a substantial feast for them and this dish is one of my favourites!
I call it the RSR breakfast. It’s loud, vibrant and spicy, typically a few of my favourite things! Essentially it is a tomato chutney, which is bursting with fresh flavours, topped with eggs. This dish can either be baked or cooked on a stove top. it reminds me of so much of home and a wholesome family meal.
I remember growing up eating this and to be honest I wouldn’t have my eggs any other way.
- 1 onion, minced
- 2 tomatoes, cubed
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 4 curry leaves
- 2 whole green chillies
- 1 ½ tsp red chilli powder
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- Salt A/R
- Ghee (purified butter)
- In a frying pan heat up about 2 tablespoons of ghee
- Add the onions and sauté for about 2 mins
- Thereafter add the cumin seeds, green chillies, and curry leaves, cook until the onions are soft.
- Thereafter add the tomato cubes and add the red chilli powder, salt and turmeric powder.
- Cook the tomatoes until they’re broken down and the water has reduced
- Make small wells in the chutney and crack your eggs in them.
- Reduce the heat and cover your eggs and allow them to cook to your liking.
- Serve with toast and if you like sausages or other breakfast meats.
Alternatively if you would like to serve this at a brunch or breakfast. I suggest you prepare the chutney and spoon equal amounts into ramekins. Thereafter crack one egg into each ramekin and cover with foil. Bake in the oven for about 2 to 3 mins on 180ᵒ C or until the whites of your eggs are cooked. cut your toast into strips and dip it into the eggs and chutney and indulge!
I love this dish. It is one of my ultimate favourite breakfast dishes. I find almost every excuse to make it! If you have any family members that love Indian food I would suggest serving this up to them!