If you follow my blog, You will probably know that a lot of my recipes come from things that I crave. After being on the Rushtush glow cleanse for 3 weeks this idea was swirling around in my head. It is a combination of making my diet food more exciting and with that adding that extra sauce for the non-dieters.
This recipe is fairly easy however there is a bit more prep time compared to my other recipes. the rest of the process is a breeze and oven cooked dishes leave extra time in the day for other stuff, like typing out blog posts.
Spinach and Feta Roll-ups
- 500g baby spinach
- 1/2 onion chopped finely
- 2 cloves of garlic- crushed
- black pepper
- white pepper
- cinnamon stick
- 100g firm feta cheese
- 1 egg- whisked
- 1 .5 kg chicken fillet
- 750 ml fresh cream
- 3 cloves crushed garlic
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp cornflour in water
- cut each chicken fillet in half and then slit them lengthwise.
- use a tenderizer and tenderize the chicken fillet until thin. set this aside for later. (prep time 20 mins)
- to prep the sauce, add the butter into a saucepan. then add the garlic and saute this until the aromas have been released into the butter. add the herbs to the pot along with the cream and boil for 10 minutes. to thicken it slightly add some water to the corn-flour. it should be as thick as drinking yogurt
- add olive oil into a pan, once the oil is warm add the onion and saute until soft
- then add the garlic and saute this until pink with a cinnamon stick.
- add the spinach leaves and let it wilt. then season with salt,black and white pepper.
- remove the pan from the heat and add the whisked egg. make sure to mix the egg into the spinach.
- put the pan back on the heat then crumble the feta over. mix it in
- lay-out your chicken fillets and spoon a teaspoon of the spinach filling onto one end.
- roll up the chicken fillets and place them into a greased pan , make sure the side where the opening is is face-up.
- arrange the roll-ups in a row in the pan then drizzle olive oil over and season with salt, pepper and red chilli powder.
- bake in the oven on 180 deg Celcius for 20 minutes covered with foil.
- remove the foil, pour out any additional water
- pour the sauce over and bake for 15 minutes more.
when you remove the chicken from the oven the sauce is meant to be the consistency of tomato sauce. it must be thin enough so that you can dunk your chicken in it but thick enough so that it enrobes the roll-ups in saucy goodness!!
a great tip would be to prepare the roll-ups and freeze them. so if you ever in need of a quick-fix , you can bring them out and bake them when you need!
i served this with a crisp green salad and garlic butter rolls on the side. its that sort of comfort food you need after a long day.